When it comes to applying for jobs, recent recruitment research has shown that at least 38 per cent of candidates embellish CVs to make it sound as if they actually have more success or interests than they do have. Spotting the people who have lied about their skill sets becomes important when making sure the right person has been hired for your vacancy. Here are some tips to help you do just that:
1. Check references and do a background check, including where they said they lived. It might take a bit of extra time but it will be worth it.
2. Pay attention to red flags. Find out why a CV contains unexplained gaps between employment, and dig a bit deeper if the person has a reluctance to explain why he or she left their last job. Periods listed as ‘self-employed’ that seem unusual can point to an employment history that is not entirely honest.
3. Test them. Do not be afraid to have candidates take aptitude tests to ensure that they really do have the skills they say they do. While this might not be possible for all skills, they can always be quizzed about technical aspects of the position.
4. Use common sense. Not all mistakes are on purpose so trust your intuition when it comes to what is a lie and what is a genuine mistake or oversight.
5. Be fair. Give the candidate a chance to explain any discrepancies that you might find.
Become a Recruitment Genius
The induction process can be a daunting prospect for both the manager and the employee, with lots to remember from…
Making A Job Offer
This is one of the best parts of the recruitment process, as you are able to give the candidate the…
Effective Reference Checking For Prospective Employees
Reference checking is typically considered time-consuming and ineffective. However this is generally because companies adopt the wrong approach. Recruitment Genius…
Illegal Interview Questions
As an employer there are plenty of questions you are entitled to ask at interview. However, there are many questions…
Effective Interview Techniques
Whilst interview techniques will vary depending on the amount of time you have and the position you are recruiting for,…
Shortlisting Candidates for Interview
Whilst short-listing can be a time-consuming process, it is also an exciting moment when you get to meet the potential…
Could Application Forms & Career Portals Actually be Damaging Your Recruitment Campaign Prospects?
Career portals start with the best of intentions – to differentiate you as an employer of choice, underline your employer…
10 Tips To Improve The Success Of Your Online Recruitment Advertising
Online recruitment has revolutionized traditional advertising. You can now truly measure your return on investment and identify the most effective…
Secrets To Online Recruitment Success
Online job sites are arguably the most effective way to reach a wide range of candidates simply because they are…
Choosing The Best Online Job Boards
If you do not choose the best online job boards, then your recruitment campaign runs the risk of immediate failure.…
Selecting The Best Online Recruitment Company
The good news is that the age of expensive, poorly targeted newspapers and print media is pretty much dead. But…