A comprehensive audit of recruiting policies, procedures, resources, internal staff should always be undertaken to identify strengths and weaknesses. We would broadly recommend the following:
- How are details about the new requirement given to the HR department?
- What documentation is required?
- Who is needed to give authorization?
- What is the decision making process when deciding which recruiter should fill which requirement?
- What administrative procedures are involved. For example advertising the vacancy, managing applications, coordinating interviews, offer/rejection letters etc.
- How do you attract applications from candidates (naturally we would recommend Recruitment Genius!)?
- How are candidates assessed to verifying their skills and qualifications?
- How is the line manager involved in the recruitment process?
- How are hiring decisions made? Importantly ensuring against discrimination and bias.
- Who is authorized to make the final hiring decision?
- Who takes care of references and background checks?
- What timeframe KPIs should be set and how are they agreed with all stakeholders?
- What KPIs, SLAs and other metrics are you using to measure performance?
- How much does your company rely on outside recruiters? Why are you using traditional recruitment services?
- What would a candidate satisfaction survey reveal? Overall how happy would they be, where is there room for improvement?
- What is your recruitment budget? If you have one is it sufficient and did HR have input in setting the budget?
- Is money on recruitment being spent wisely? How is cost-effectiveness being measured?
- What administrative support is available for recruiters? It is not recommended that highly paid and talented recruiters undertake routine low-skill based tasks which again is not cost-effective.
- What systems and tools do you have? Are they effective?
- Do recruiters get involved with line managers and staff meetings?
- Are your internal recruiters challenged and compensated well?
- Do internal recruiters have adequate training and overall knowledge of the company?
- Are you managing internal recruiters by objectives and SMART goals?