This company is an award winning UK textile innovator, independently owned, specialising in the design & manufacture of contract upholstery fabrics for commercial interiors and mass passenger transport. The company is based in the UK’s West Yorkshire textile heartland, with additional manufacturing in Lithuania and Nottingham, from where it extends global reach into some 80 countries worldwide via established offices, warehousing and distribution channels in Europe, North America, China and Australia. This company sells over 8 million metres of fabric a year for use in commercial offices, banks, government departments, universities, NHS, cinema, auditoria and transportation applications in buses, coaches, trains and underground.
- To set up new weaving schedules in loom in accordance with fabric specifications.
- To adjust loom settings to ensure fabric weaves to the correct quality and specification.
- To ensure looms are free from defects which could present a safety hazard.
- To repair and replace faulty loom parts.
Key Tasks and Accountabilities:
- To start up new production jobs in loom, ensuring the fabric is set to weave as determined by the job specification.
- Ensuring any loom defects with regard to health and safety are repaired immediately or taken out of service until safe operation can be guaranteed.
- Correcting any machine faults or variations when fabric is weaving in loom.
- Checking the fabric width, pick rate, design, length settings and yarn used at every new start up.
- Changing looms over from different designs and gears.
- Checking all looms at the start of every shift to ensure fabric woven is fault free.
- Patrolling looms and completing a quality check sheet at the start of every shift.
- Assisting weavers to ensure all fabric woven is fault free by making fine adjustments to loom settings as and when required.
- Responding to loom breakdowns to repair and fit parts when required.
- Working with the knotting team to ensure style changes are done as efficiently as possible.
- Updating the Barco plan board to ensure accurate data is generated.
- Ensure general maintenance is carried out on all looms.
- Ensure the working and storage areas are clean, tidy and free of obstructions.
- Maintain the department’s quality, health and safety standards by following the set procedures.
Knowledge and aptitudes required:
- Good knowledge of flat weaving production.
- Good knowledge of Dornier, Sulzer, Somet & Picanol machines.
- Good knowledge of Airjet, Rapier, Dobby and Jacquard weaving.
- Good attention to detail.
- Mechanical skills.
- The ability to recognise and rectify mechanical and material faults.
- Excellent numeric and literacy skills.
- The ability to bend stretch and lift weights up to 25 kgs.
- Flexibility and self-motivated.
- The ability to distinguish between similar colours and shades.
- Good hand and eye co-ordination.
- The ability to work as part of a team and on own initiative.