Writing Thank You Letters After An Interview
Written by Geoff Newman on 08/06/2012
One of the best things you can do after a job interview is to send a thank you letter to the prospective employer. Sending a thank you letter is a great strategy for creating a better impression and may get you closer to landing that job.
Why is sending a thank you letter so important? A thank you letter will help you stand out from the crowd, especially when the competition is stiff. This is especially true because most other job candidates will not send one since it is not common practice. However, more and more job candidates are picking up on the fact that thank you letters are effective and they are sending them to the employment agencies that are helping them find work.
If you would like to take the opportunity to reiterate your strengths after the interview, keep these tips and tricks in mind for writing the perfect thank you letter:
- Be sure to include some specific strengths you have that are relevant to the job in question.
- Double-check your spelling and grammar.
- Try to send your thank you letter by post rather than email, as it is considered more personal and it will seem like you put more effort into it.
- Send the thank you letter 24 hours after the interview, not the same day.
- If you are very interested in the job, be sure to be crystal clear about it.
Just remember, if you want to stand out against the competition, sending a well-written thank you letter might do the trick. Good luck!